Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I am using a modem connection and the sylpheed client.
As many modem users working offline, I make a lot of short modem connections.
At the time, my client supports any command for sending. This was probably done
to use the local "s
endmail" command on unix systems, but I often use it to send to remote sendmail
server where I have shell access. Do do it I just replaced the "sendmail"
command by "ssh remote.server.org sendmail --some-options". This allows for
compression which may be
interesting for long text messages over a slow modem connexion. As the "ssh"
command is inside the configuration of the client, there is no need to
establish a ssh tunnel after each modem connection, you just start the modem
and send through the regular c
ommand of the client.

At some point I remembered that the "pine" client could be configured to use a
"ssh remote.server.org /usr/lib/rpopd" command to access a pop (or imap)
server. Then I asked me if this approach could work with Qpopper, because I
have an mail account on a s
erver which uses Qpopper, and to which I can ssh. As suggested a tunnel would
allow me to use compression, but I would have to start it manually after each
modem connection, the "ssh" command would be configured into the client and
would reduce the number
 of manipulations at each connection.

Have a nice day,

        Jean-Bernard