At 9:49 AM -0800 3/9/06, Lee Terrell wrote:

 Hi All,

 I recently set up qpopper 4.0.8 on a new machine and I have been seeing
 new errors in regards to username.lock files.  This problem isn't
 affecting every users, but I am getting a fair amount of the following
 error message:

 -ERR [SYS/TEMP] maillock error 'Unable to create lockfile' (2) on
 '/var/spool/mail/u1/u2/user': Permission denied (13)

 I do have the enable-temp-drop option active so we can see when users
 last popped their mail spool, but it's not a pop.lock error message.

You mean the 'keep-temp-drop' option?

 When I check, I can easily see the problem is that the user.lock file is
 set to root:root for ownership, so the user's pop session can't
 overwrite the lock file.

That's weird.

 I've been reading past posts from the list to try and get a handle on
 the lock file situation.  I thought my understanding was that qpopper
 makes the lock file at the beginning of the session, and if the user's
 session is interrupted, the lock file is removed after a few minutes.  I
 have found several lock files that are lingering for more than several
 hours though, and a few more than a day.

The .lock file should go away when the popper process cleans up before exiting, which it will do as soon as it is aware the user has disconnected. Are you sure you are seeing .lock files linger, and not .pop files? If so, is the popper process still active?

 I've been comparing my old server configuration and setup with the new
 one, and I don't see any glaring differences.  What are some possible
 areas I can investigate regarding these errors?  I'm going through the
 manual performance tuning section again currently to see if anything
 sticks out to me.

There shouldn't be anything you can do to Qpopper to make this happen. Could it be some other process doing it?

--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------