Randall Gellens wrote:
If people find this useful, I'd be happy to make the option available in the standard distribution, but I disagree with it being on by default. Keeping the spool locked for extended periods can interfere with mail delivery.

I have it running for some years now (with sendmail) in high traffic with no problems. When the local mailer sees the locked spool, it should return with an lmtp error, and keep the mail in queue. I believe that the only relevant sendmail timeout settings are confTO_QUEUERETURN (The timeout before a message is returned as undeliverable, default=5days) and confTO_QUEUEWARN (default=4hours).
-S