Lately I've been seeing popper processes sticking around on our server for days. Always the same few users, often several processes per user. Their .pop files have already been deleted, so they aren't preventing new connections, but they have been cluttering things up.

I tracked them to iPhone users. It doesn't happen on every POP, maybe once every day or two.

We're using popper via xinetd so that we can run both STARTTLS and the alternate-port SSL connection. At first I thought it was specific to the alternate-port SSL, since those were the only ones that showed up, but after asking one user to switch to STARTTLS, it's still happening.

Qpopper 4.0.14 on x86 Linux. server-mode and fast-update enabled. I'm reluctant to install the 4.1 beta, since it's working otherwise, but I'll consider it if there's a relevant fix.

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?  Any suggestions?

--
Kelson Vibber