On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:11:26PM -0700, Bryan Scott wrote:
> I've been thinking for the past little bit (a dangerous habit, I know), and
> came up with an idea that should fit seamlessly into qpsmtpd, vpopmail,
> spamassassin, etc.  I'm curious if other developers have already done
>  something like the idea I'm about to describe, or if it's something that
> needs starting.
>
> Many of my customers complain about too much email being blocked from the
> various block lists and email filters, or that not enough email is being
> caught. To solve this problem one would need per-user and/or per domain
> controls.

Agreed. Lots of people seem to be thinking about this, but no one seems to
have implemented anything terribly comprehensive yet.

Just to throw another approach into the pot for discussion, I've been
thinking about approaching this by adding subdirectories to the 'config'
directory by RCPT domain, and having per-domain config files in these
subdirectories that override (or perhaps are merged with) the system-wide
qpsmtpd/config versions. i.e.

  qpsmtpd/
      config/
          badhelo
          dnsbl_zones
          plugins
          whitelistsenders
          openfusion.com.au/
              plugins
              spamassassin
              whitelistsenders
          otherdomain.net/

Qpsmtpd::config('foo') would return the domain-specific 'foo' config file
if called with a rcpt argument, instead of the global version.

Per-user configs (if desired), could just be another set of directories
within domains. Symlinks would give you domain aliasing or more specific
config sharing, as desired.

Thoughts/flames?

Cheers,
Gavin

--
Open Fusion P/L - Open Source Business Solutions [ Linux - Perl - Apache ]
ph:  02 9875 5032                        fax: 02 9875 4317