On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Michael Holzt wrote:

> > This relay is handling 60-80K connections per day. The files seem to be a
> > repetition of the same email repeatedly failing e.g.
>
> No, it is not the same message,

The md5 for all files the same size match, so I think it is the same :)

> it is just failing after the same amount of data. I have some files of
> the same size too, but all are different messages truncated in the
> middle (e.g. after 12288 bytes). Strange.
>
> > I see now that qpsmtpd is dying whilst waiting for qmail-scanner to
> > finish:
>
> I use qmail-scanner too, maybe thats a hint.

Just done a check and qmail-scanner always finds qpsmtpd has died if the
scanning has taken over 120s. That is my qpsmtpd timeout. It seems that
the 120s timeout alarm is reset on each line of the data, but it is not
cancelled after that meaning qmail-scanner is then limited to 120s
scanning time. Seems like an "alarm 0" should be in there?
  I think two types of files are being left in tmp. Large emails which are
taking over 120s to scan are getting left. As they are large they fill tmp
up pretty quickly. There are also files which, as you know, are truncated
on KB boundaries which seem to suggest dropped connections or the like.
  Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information Services Division, Clifford Whitworth Building,