John Peacock wrote:
Fred Moyer wrote:

2)  Using 0.31 and Apache::Qpsmtpd and the modified auth_vpopmail_sql
plugin as shown above, all clients except MS Windows based clients can
authenticate.  The behavior is similar using 0.28 under A::Q.  From
debugging I have been able to determine the following variable states
for the SASL sub in Auth.pm

Are you *sure* you are running branches/0.3x or the 0.31.1 tarball and not
trunk?  The reason I ask is that the exact behavior you are describing is
happening on trunk, because Auth.pm has not been rewritten to use the Danga::*
framework.  This would also explain why CRAM-MD5 isn't working either.  Both
LOGIN and CRAM-MD5 require an additional back and forth between client and
server, which the trunk code doesn't presently handle.

You are right - this occurred running trunk. I was initially using the 0.31 tarball and everything was working ok under Thunderbird, so I decided to test against trunk when I ran into the current issue.

I was looking through the mailing list archives this morning and saw the previous discussion regarding the need for continuations with CRAM-MD5. I remember reading it at the time it came through my inbox now but I wasn't familiar with the Auth code enough at the time to digest the contents.

My suggestion is to get branches/0.3x and use the gensslcert script to create a
TLS certificate.  You  should also be able to use CRAM-MD5 again (though to be
honest, I haven't tested Apache::Qpsmtpd myself).

I'll try this approach.  Thanks for the pointers.

John