On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 07:08:34PM -0700, Robert Spier wrote:

> Comments:
>
>  - provide more documentation in the plugin, mention 2821 section 3.4
>    (and a short paragraph)
>  - should be off by default (even though it requires the existence of
>    files.)

Ok.

>  - wondering if it should be called preforward-local or something
>    because it works on local files.

After looking at sendmail (see below), they seem to call this feature
"redirect".  Seems to be more appropiate:

forward:
     2. To send forward; to send toward the place of destination;
        to transmit; as, to forward a letter.
        [1913 Webster]

redirect:
       v : channel into a new direction; "redirect your attention to
           the danger from the fundamentalists" [syn: {airt}]

How about naming the plugin "redirect-local", and the file ~/.redirect ?

>  - is it also worth supporting 251?

I don't think so.  I still couldn't figure out what is 251 useful for.  Also,
it would add more complexity to the user file.  I like the current approach
because it's the same syntax as ~/.forward files (at least as those that only
have an email address).

> Also, people seem to be abusing 551 for things it isn't meant for.
> (google for sendmail 551)
> http://lib.baikal.net/koi.cgi/SENDMAIL/check.txt

Ugh.  That's violating the standard...  However, I just looked at sendmail
source and it seems to be supporting 551 properly.  This probably just refers to
a plugin or something.

--
Robert Millan