Tom Smith writes:
Is it safe to assume that most MTAs will give up trying after four or five days if a message is still undeliverable, even if it's getting a temporary error? (The spam I referred to is dated in 2003, but I don't want to set a date limit that old--perhaps a week or two.)

Sort of safe, but maybe not safe enough... be friendly about the bouncing, set it to a month to begin with, and do it with a friendly "maybe your clock isn't set right"-soft of message... The spammers shouldn't see/care about such messages, but the false-positive positive-victims might see it. To be even more on the safe side of things you'd of course just log these these things for a couple of weeks before setting it to actually bounce, but, hey, we both know that you won't do that... ;-)
  /Tony