On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Jared Johnson wrote:

Well, I answered my own question by reading the source. I can't quite make out where in RFC 2821/2 this is specified, but I also don't see it reversed anywhere in 5321/2 so I'll trust that the code knows what it's talking about :)

Apart from anything else, it's required for qmail-smtpd compatibility.

-Jared

Jared Johnson wrote:
 Hi,

 qpsmtpd recently accepted and attempted to send a message addressed from:

 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 The recipient server rejected this message based on an invalid sender
 address.  I did some testing, and QP rejects <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> but
 rejects <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.  Is
 Qpsmtpd::Address actually explicitely allowing an IP address in this
 form?  Is this appropriate?

 -Jared