On Jan 3, 2009, at 2:10, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

On the topic of releasing, why isn't qpsmtpd released to CPAN?

Because we never really got it easily installable via the whole
"Makefile.PL" route.

Any specific problems? Is it because qpsmtpd can be installed in several ways,
or is it just an itch nobody really cared to scratch yet?

I think actually it's been reasonably scratched -- the debian package for example does it.

The "problem" is that qpsmtpd in many ways is a developer tool and the default setup is optimized for that -- and many installs are just following that. I'd like us to move towards doing a "proper" standard- ish install as the default.

(For that matter it'd be nice to move the standard plugins towards being module based, too, and eventually make the plugins themselves easier to subclass/plug/otherwise modify at arms length.).

So: Patches to improve Makefile.PL and a standard install are welcome.

  - ask