Jared Johnson wrote:
>> _Every_ filter reject _must_ result in a real reject back to the sender
>> (by inline 5xx error).  In this way we can ensure that someone is shown
>> that it didn't get through, and we provide them with instructions on
>> what to do to remediate a FP.  By 250'ing the email, and eliding a
>> recipient, you're blackholing the email.  Not acceptable in our environment.
>
> That's where you'd probably want to go down a different road in the same
> scheme -- instead of turning the reject into an ignore, turn it into a
> bounce if you want the sender to know about it,

Blowback?  No way.

> or into a quarantine or
> tag if you don't trust the bounce to make it.  That's of course if you
> absolutely have to have per-user prefs, which we do :)  We decided it
> was not an option to *force* ignoring mail, so we added these additional
> options, but in practice we only ever end up doing this to mail that
> really did end up being spam, which is why there hasn't been any demand
> to change the default.

We treat "user prefs" in a slightly different way.  There are (only ;-)
three "unfiltered" accounts[+].  If the filters fire on it, it'll _only_
get through if the unfiltered account is the sole recipient.  The
rejection message says "forward to FP handling account _only_".

[+] Our FP handling account, abuse and one other.  Nobody else has
really asked for a unfiltered account.  If they do, I'll make 'em sign a
security exemption that requires them to rejustify it every 6 months.