Actually... I've come to the conclusion I don't understand at all.

Without any logging plugins I still get logs from tcpserver (I'm using
daemontools to run it). There are two files in my config directory
'logging' and 'loglevel'. I don't know which one effects the logs
produces (yes, I could play around more and work it out but I haven't
yet). I have them both at 0 at the moment but both at 3 produced only
tcpserver lines too.

The perldoc for your routine says...

logterse [prefix char] [loglevel level]

It doesn't mention the prefix char, so I don't know what that is. This
also seems to give a third place to specify the level.. Which one is
used? I don't understand the relevance of "adjunct to the normal
logging plugins ". Does this mean some other plugin is required for it
to produce logs.

Sorry for stupid questions.... I got everything else to work very
easily and am suitably impressed but I don't think I'm quite "getting
it" with the logging system.

Howard