On May 9, 2010, at 11:42 PM, Robert Spier wrote:

> Assuming
> http://github.com/msimerson/qpsmtpd/commit/6948c27205ebdec045604bd8d6bf6a3a04c35a8a
> is the output of this experiment...

Tis true.

> If we were to just fix the "big issues", I think that would help most
> places without causing the huge churn, and hard to review change.
>
> By "big issues" I mean:
>  tab vs spaces
>  trailing whitespace
>
> I was going to include 4 vs 2 in there, but I'm not sure even that
> makes a huge difference.

git config --global apply.whitespace nowarn

Would that prevent any undue hardship, on the part of people with outstanding
patches?

> If we're going to do this, we need to get all outstanding patches
> merged and just bite the bullet.  It'll only suck during the
> transition.  (And for anyone backporting patches.)

Is there a list of outstanding patches somewhere?  I care enough to do the
legwork.

> But with the exception of some annoying tab/space stuff, what's the
> big win from doing this?

It sets the expectation for new contributors that there is a code standard and
it should be adhered to when making submissions.

It will also let me install a git pre-commit hook that automatically runs
perltidy on the files I'm changing. If I do that now, it will almost certainly
make all the patches I submit much larger.  I'm of the opinion that whitespace
changes such as changing from 2 to 4 spaces should be done en masse with no
other changes.

If all the files have been tidied, I will create that pre-commit hook, and I'll
update docs/development accordingly, making it ultimately easier on everyone to
have consistently formatted files.

Matt