On May 8, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Robert Spier wrote:

> +
> +=head2 reject
> +
> +Set to a value between 1 and 6 to enable the following SPF behaviors:
> +
> + 1 annotate-only, add Received-SPF header, no rejections.
>
> Should this be reject 0?  It's not really reject.
>
> + 2 defer on DNS failures. Assure there's always a meaningful SPF header.
> + 3 rejected if SPF record says 'fail'
> + 4 stricter reject. Also rejects 'softfail'
> + 5 reject 'neutral'
> + 6 reject if no SPF records, or a syntax error
>
> Is it worth moving to english names instead of numbers?

Both points are valid.

But, I think there's also some value in behaving exactly as the qmail-smtpd
patch does. Now that you mention it, I should further amend the SPF plugin to:

        • include support for reading in the configuration from qmail's control
file
        • enable the SPF plugin by default

If the qmail control file is missing, and there is no configuration enabling
SPF, it defaults to level 0, which is the same as the present disabled by
default" policy.

If this is a new qpsmtpd user with qmail already installed, they get their
"expected" SPF behavior with no effort.

Matt