From: Friedemann Kleint [mailto:friedemann.kle...@nokia.com]
Sent: donderdag 9 juli 2009 9:57
To: qt-creator@trolltech.com
Subject: Re: [Qt-creator] debugging VS steps: 30 seconds

Hi,

> I said before that I had problems with seeing Qt types values, that
seems
> to be solved now. But I still have the problem that every step (or
when I
> hit a breakpoint) the whole program hangs for about 30 seconds.
>
> It worked faster before. I'm not sure if it is just me (and I need to
> reinstall my system or something :s ) or that this is normal for now
and
> work-in-progress. Do other people have this issue?

No, the system is not (necessarily) to blame here....technically, this
phenomenon is caused by the debugger helpers hitting on an uninitialized
variable. For example:

QString s1 = "foo";
<breakpoint> fiddle(s1);
QString s2 = "bar";

At the breakpoint, the debugger already sees s2 in the stack frame and
tries to display it using the Debugger helpers. As it is not yet
initialized, the helper can cause memory access violations, which make
it slow (particularly with CDB).

We are working on the issue, but have not really found a good solution
yet.
Turning the debugger helpers will always make it faster.

Regards.
Friedemann
--
Friedemann Kleint