Visual C++ 6 has the distinction of not requiring any additional support
libraries (MSVC*.dll) because most versions of Windows come with the 6
versions (because they are so old). In some cases this greatly simplifies
distribution, especially when not using an installer. Why the newer redist
libraries aren't sent on WindowsUpdate or similar is a mystery to me.
VC++ 6's IDE is also much, much faster, and is often thought of as better
than most competing IDEs. After having used DevC++ and a number of other
terrible Open Source IDEs, I think Qt Creator is the first IDE that actually
competes with Microsoft's ancient version 6.

Note: I use Visual Studio 2008 and of course Qt Creator with TDM-GCC4.4, but
I wanted to share the reasons I'd heard why so many still use Visual Studio
6.

--Charles N. Burns
Qt articles: http://www.formortals.com/author/charles

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Coda Highland <c...@bobandgeorge.com>wrote:

> VC++6 has a bunch of quite atrocious limitations; it was released
> before the C++98 spec was finalized and thus gets a bunch of stuff
> wrong. (Example: VC++6 has no support for templated member functions.)
> Qt had to hack around those limitations for a long time and official
> support was finally dropped a while back. You should still be able to
> coerce it into working if you put some effort into it but you won't
> get any official support for it. (That said, you MIGHT be able to get
> community support for it from #qt or the qt-interest ML.)
>
> /s/ Adam
>
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Hari Sundar <hsun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why is Visual Studio 6 support missing ? Cmake does support Visual Studio
> 6,
> > so why is it missing from Qt Creator ?
> >
> > I know it is an antiquated compiler, but I have some legacy projects that
> > need to use VC6 and would prefer a better IDE (with FakeVIM) ...
> >
> > thanks,
> > Hari

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss