Dear Mr. Kleint,

Thank you for your answer.

The compiled program just runs fine outside qtcreator - or not really fine
that why I need a debugger working -

When hitting the "start debug" button a message with four options pops up,
stating something with the debug helper that cannot be found or started.
Then it directs me to the debugger properties where I can recompile the
debugging helper (as I understand for gdb, which is not what I want, as I
need the cdb to work).

------------------------ these messages seem to be related to misconfigured
debugging symbols directory:

*** wait with pending attach

 Symbol search path is:
 *** Invalid ***

e***************************************************************************
*
e* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path.
*
e* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path.
*
e* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations.
*
e***************************************************************************
*
 Executable search path is:

 ModLoad: 00400000 006fb000   MyApp.exe
----------------------------------

I have a quite large code base (> 3Megs of code if I leave out third party
and open source libraries) and moved it from visual studio to qtcreator
which was quite a lot of work, but now it is in better structure. I like the
qmake process which makes it platform independent, but I might be missing
something about the setup of large projects with qmake. Maybe this is also
causing the debugger to crash as it has outdated or wrongly places symbols?
It seems to me that first of all the make process needs to be fixed:

I am heavily using the subdirs template and all projects but five are
staticlibs.

Four projects use the app template. The odd thing: the way I have set it up
it seems not to push changes from the source files all the way down to the
__program_.exe only to the last __program_.lib then it stops. Also, jom and
nmake all the same run through all the subdirs until it reaches the point of
change which takes quite some time. Only if I delete the exe file, the final
linking is invoked.

What might I be doing wrong, maybe do I need to specify all the
dependencies? How? It seems that the missing exe is pulling down the making
of libs, obj and cpp. But shouldn't it be the other way round that a change
in a cpp pushes all the way down to the related .exes?

To wrap it up: I cannot tell if the debugging problem is somehow related to
a misconfigured qmake setup with all the projects, as the debugger
crashes/exits with invalid symbol search path.

Please help me on the qmake process.

Cheers

Georg Wuensch.

Hi,

>eERROR: Unable to find system thread
>e1480
> eERROR: The thread being debugged has either exited or cannot be accessed

It looks like Qt Creator cannot start this application at all, possibly due
missing DLLs. Have you tried running the application normally in Qt Creator?

Is it a Qt application/project?
The recent 1.3 branch should be a bit more verbose.

Regards,
Friedemann
--
Friedemann Kleint