Well, usually when you're dealing with projects like this putting a
dependency on the target file is generally sufficient, since that
target file (in its own project file) has a dependency on the header
files. (This is, by the way, the canonical workaround for dealing with
dependency tracking on static libraries.) I'm not sure, however, that
make will detect that the .o files are out of date when that's simply
a linker dependency. Try it, see how it goes.

/s/ Adam