The only change needed to the .pro file is "CONFIG -= qt", and
forgetting that just means that the application LINKS to QtCore and
QtGui -- it doesn't require you to use any Qt classes or tools in the
source code. You can add source files to the project using Creator
itself, so there's no need to worry about learning how .pro files work
-- but considering that it's just going to be the one line "SOURCES =
main.cpp" for most basic programs, even that's not going to be hard.

qmake may be a little clumsy when you need particularly expressive
project files (better than Xcode though) but for simple projects like
school assignments, it's PERFECT in its simplicity. You can't GET
simpler.

/s/ Adam