Well I tried both
engine.addImportPath("C:/Qt/4.7.0-beta1/imports/Qt/multimedia");
and
engine.addPluginPath("C:/Qt/4.7.0-beta1/imports/Qt/multimedia");
and they do not change a thing. I still have to add the plugin by hand.

Looking at preexisting paths reveals:
importPathList contains one item
        "C:/iwmake/build_mingw_opensource/imports"
and pluginPathList also one item :
        "."

Regards,
Cristi