Well, throwing it out there as a web standard I think would raise some
eyebrows, get the attention, and make it hugely successful. People have been
crying for a open source flash replacement. Tools like gnash don't fix the
problem, as they don't compile the binary.

I think all that would be needed is a reference implementation that is a
browser plugin on OSX, Windows and Linux.

We've got a chicken and egg problem. But getting one will produce the other
eventually. I think having it as a web standard would help get both the
quickest.

-J