on mine, the middle 2 are the drive wheels, the back are casters and the front are anti-tip protectors.  the back 4 provide a very short wheel base which makes for very tight turns but leaves me open to tipping over frontwards.  the front 2 keep that from happening but are off the ground during normal use.  this out manuvers my manual by a mile and i really like it a lot.
dave  pride - jet-2