From: adaptbabs
To: Stephanie Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 4:29 AM
Subject: ADAPT magic

Friday September 17, 2004: ADAPT magic happened again at the Town Hall
Meeting in Aurora, Co with presidential candidate John Kerry.
The local ADAPT group had spent the week trying to get tickets to attend the
rally for Mr. Kerry on Friday and had been unsuccessful. On Friday at 2PM a
decision was made and eight of us loaded up in a van to attempt to get into
the meeting without tickets. The magic started immediately. The parking lots
were full so we asked one of the police officers if we could unload the van
before parking. "You have two minutes to unload," he said, "and don't go
past the cones." As we pulled into the parking lot another officer said,
"You need to pull around right in front." "But we were told not to go past
the cones." "And I'm telling you to go past the cones and unload." Past the
cones we went.
As we got to the doors we asked several people to find a specific
individual, as she was to have the tickets for us. Of course, she couldn't
be located, but a group of us sitting to the side were offered tickets by a
man and coincidentally he had exactly eight tickets. Inside we went.
We were able to pass security without too much hassle, and were directed to
the side of the gym with a good view of the podium where Mr. Kerry would be
speaking. The group in the wheelchairs moved up the aisle, where they were
stopped by one of the union women sitting on the aisle who explained they
could move no closer. As soon as she had lost interest in them and moved her
foot Dawn Russell took them to the very front of the row.
In his speech Mr. Kerry was very up front about the problems he saw with the
present administration and the changes he was prepared to initiate. The main
focus of his speech was health care and his healthcare plan for the nation,
and we were clear we had come to the right place at the right time.
After his speech Mr. Kerry took and responded to questions from the
audience. He handed the microphone to a woman sitting next to Dawn and her
question was about what would happen to her Medicaid with all of the budget
cuts that were going on. As Mr. Kerry stepped back to begin his answer
"quiet" Dawn Russell said, "I have an answer to the Medicaid problems,
Senator Kerry." And the Senator kneeled down and held the microphone for
her. ADAPT magic at work.  "Senator Kerry, there are over 1 million people
in nursing homes across the United States. It would cost one-third less to
support them in the community. Colorado is one of the best in the country at
community supports, but across the country people are having to leave their
home states to come to places like Colorado to live in our own homes in the
community and receive services," said Dawn.
Senator Kerry responded, " This is Dawn Russell from ADAPT, and she is
right. No one should be forced to live in a nursing home." Mr. Kerry went on
to remark on ADAPTs 14 year battle to pass legislation that would assist
individuals including the elderly and the coming "Baby Boomers" to continue
to live in their own homes. He stated that children should not have to work
extra to take care of or pay for their parents. Services in the home "with
attendant care" will not only save money, but increase jobs and pay a living
wage for attendants. People should have the choice of where they live and
should all be able to live independently and with dignity.
ADAPT magic, Senator Kerry. Thank You