Date: Thursday, November 04, 2004 00:03:49
Subject: [QUAD-L] helping people

  I went to Lawrenceburg, IN, and I was transferring into my wheelchair from my car with my Mom in a parking garage.  I heard someone sitting behind our car, and when I was situated, I turned around and saw a young black man in a wheelchair (a regular hospital chair not evaluated and fit to his needs).  He said, "How do you do that, get out of you car like so?"  I said, "It has taken hard work to learn the sliding technique.  I slide on a transfer board to the front seat."  He then said, "Do you think you could help me?  I do not have a chair like that so I can go out to the mall and stuff like that.  I told him to give me his phone number and I would call him with resources, a way to do things, and that I would walk him through this and get him the things that he needed to become independent.  I had never seen this person in my entire life, but he needed help and he called upon a stranger in a parking garage.  God works in mysterious ways.  My question to everyone is if you know about any good support groups, or Independent Living Centers in Hamilton Co., OH?  I will be calling him to discuss his situation, and his different needs, and I want to be prepared to answer all his questions thoroughly.  I am not familiar with the State of Ohio, so if anyone can send me info, it would be appreciated.
***Hello everyone!  I hope you are doing fine.  Keep your heads up, because tomorrow the sun will rise again.