----- Original Message -----
From: Lana Baugh
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 12:17 AM
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Hey guys can you give me an opinion on Syringomyelia

Corie,

My son had real severe pain until he got a Baclofen pump. He is about 9 years post injury C-4-5. got his first pump 1 year after injury. reduced pain and made life livable again. I'm pretty certain you can have a spinal shunt if it empties into the peritoneal cavity and have a Baclofen pump. Also, shunts -where ever they place them - head or spine can stop working and they need to be followed. If they stop working symptoms can return or worse with shunts in the head. Some friends of mine son had the distal end of the spinal shunt in the pleural cavity and he had alot of problems with it. Gabe's neurosurgeon said he'd never guarantee a shunt longer then three days.They plug easily. Gabe has a ventricular- peritoneal shunt (head)  and in 32 years has had 15 shunt revisions . Gabe has a syrinx C2-C4 and he has always been at risk because of spinal deformities from birth. His syrinx was not treated because it is in the same place where he had a laminectomy .That's the surgery that went bad afterwards and left Gabe as a quad. The neurosurgeon feels the spinal cord is not being impinged upon. (Different doc) so no surgery right now. The syrinx has always been there out in the wings. He was diagnosed last summer.
If is any one is interested I have several good sites on syrinxs.
Lana-mother
Gabe-C4-5

Corie
I have been unable to post for some reason. Could you post this for me?
Thanks