From: Jim Lubin
Date: Friday, December 03, 2004 11:35:53 AM
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Researchers Make Stem-Cell Breakthrough

Mark, the main argument in that article dated Jan 3, 2003, is this paragraph:
Those who object to the use of embryonic stem cells have pushed for a shift to adult stem cells, which can be obtained from adults without harming the person. Many scientists feel, however, these cells do not have as great a potential to become a tissue type other than that from which they are taken, making them less viable as potential treatments for disease.
But the research in Nov 2004 from South Korea has shown that adult stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood have helped a paralyzed South Korean woman walk again.