I am so sorry to hear about your friend.  I have some advice although our situations are a bit different.  I am at T7/8 level. I got sick from a rare type of encephalitis that inflamed my brain and spinal cord.  I woke up with a hurt back one day, went to the doctor's to have him tell me I slept on it wrong and gave me a script for muscle relaxer's.  I went home and fell asleep on the couch and that is the last thing I remember.  I woke up in the hospital a month later.  My family was told that I would suffer from neurological damage.  If I survived I would not show any signs of recover for 6 months to a year and never be independent.  I came out of the hospital 8 months later and into my own place and  have lived on my own for 3 years so far. When I woke up from the coma, I was paralyzed from the neck down.  I was on the vent another couple of weeks after that then also had a trach.  It was so much easier for the doctors and me.  While I was on the vent, they did x-rays every day to make sure that fluids weren't settling in since I wasn't moving at all.  I eventually got rid of the trach and have a small scar that isn't very noticeable on my neck.  Now,  I am completely independent as far as self care goes.  I go to school and getting ready to get my license since I just got a van.  I know that my story is different than your friends, but I hope that it shows you that you can't go by what the doctors say all the time.  His recovery has a lot to do with how he handles it.  If he gives up then of course it is going to slow him down in his recovery.  Let's pray he's a fighter and it seems that he has loving people around him that will motivate him and that always helps.  I partly wanted to get better for them as well as myself.  I will say a prayer for all of you and you now know where we are so ask away if you have any questions.  We'll be here waiting for him when he gets better.

Good luck with everything,
Stacy

P.S.  It's funny you mentioned the monitors spiking.  My Mom said mine did she told me a certain person would be visiting or when my roommate was in the room singing some stupid song she knows I hate and she has a god awful voice.  It's weird how we react when unconscious.

Last night I visited my buddy in the hospital.  He is
still unconscious.  I have not heard the word coma
used yet but I guess that is what this is.  I found
out that he broke T7, so I looked it up in the SCI
book from the library and it says he should be able to
propel a wheelchair, feed himself, drive a car (with
the right modifications), transfer in and out of
chair.  This is the good news.

The breathing tube is out and instead he has a
tracheotomy.  A friend tells me that that is easier on
the respiratory system than the tube.  Is that true?

The bandages are off his head and the swelling is
down.  He looks like himself again, only a little
puffy.

His brother told me that he has some awareness of
what's going on.  When his ex-wife visited, all his
monitors started spiking.  :)

I met his nurse for the first time and got a sense
that he might also have neurological damage.  He had a
skull fracture in the accident and so far everyone's
been focused on the paralysis.  This is the bad news.
I am trying not to be scared about a really gifted
person having permanent cognitive losses.

Did any of you have skull fractures along with SCI?