In a message dated 06/12/2004 05:01:31 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I do not know if I am in the right spot but I sure do hope so.  I
personally do not have a spinal cord injury but recently my boyfriend
has been diagnosed of having a spinal cord injury.  He was at the
wrong place at the wrong time and got shot at a club which caused him
to become paraplegic.

He is only 21 and not dealing with this at all.  Is has been to one
of the best rehabilitation center in our city and is continuing going
to rehab but he has yet to accept the fact that he may never walk
again:(

The doctors told him that is a 95% of a chance that he will not
regain his mobility again but we want to believe otherwise.  Now, i
do not know if we(meaning th family) are in denial about his injury
but I want to beleive that his injury in the hands of a high power.

I guess what I want to know what is the probablity of him walking
again?  He was diagnosed a SCI T7 complete.  I have done several
research on this but nothing says anything about mobility..He says
his legs jumps continously but like i told him they are spasms...He
aslo said he feels pressure in his penis as if he has to urinate like
actually get up and go urinate but due to his injury he cannot.  He
also said he feel his legs being cold but I do not know if that is a
mind thing or if he really feels that sensation...

What to do? What to say?  He does not have the physical support like
he thought he was going to have which gets him really down and me
being not in his situation I continually say the same thing over and
over which I know he gets tired of hearing...

Do you'll have any advice I can tell him or rather a reality that I
can give all of us?  Please help me!
Hey there!

I'm Smurf and I'm 20 years old from the UK.  I'm a T6 incomplete para due to a combination of a car accident and a fall.

Before I start going into one of my essay replies I wanted to let you know that I think your a fantastic girlfriend for A. sticking by him through his accident, and B. for trying to find out information.  Most of us have lost friends and loved ones due to our injuries so it's refreshing to hear that not everyone is like that!  I was paralysed around 6 weeks after my 18th birthday and boy did it hurt emotionally!  I can't comment on weather he will walk again or not - I don't feel that it's right of me to say being that I've only been a para for 2yrs 9months.  But what I can suggest is to continue standing by your boyfriend - be his emotional punchbag and allowing him to released his emotions on you.  What he needs right now is someone who he can shout at if needs be, who he knows will still be back by his side the next day.  But please don't forget that although your boyfriend is going to need a lot of support over the comming months, your going to need the support as well, which is where us loopy gang come in!!!  The site is full of amazing and inspiring people, all of which who have different stories and experiences to share with everyone.  You've definitely come to the right place fo getting advice, three are many people here who are full of it, and will be only to willing to helpy ou along the best to their ability.

I look forward to speaking to you again soon, try and stay strong, and I wish your boyfriend a speedy recovery!

Love Smurf xxx