The prepay plan is just that prepay. So you do not have to sign a contract.  I purchased my phone thru Bell south they apparently are connected with Cingular. The phone was 49.95 and came with a 10.00 phone credit. After it arrived I called the number and added 100.00 to the phone and that was it.  Each call during the week is .40 per minute, weekend calls are .10 per minute.  After each call my phone displays how much was used and what's left.   It beats being stuck paying a flat rate per month especially if you only want it for emergencies

Penny