To: <quad-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Terri S- and her feeding tube

W,

If Terri's parents had not disagreed with the husband's decision to act on his wife's verbal (and none of us will ever really know whether she really said this are not) wishes, then this would not even be an issue for the courts or Congress. As I have said on this list at least four times, personal decisions like this are made by victim's families hundreds, if not thousands of times a year. My mother's family decided not to sustain the life of my grandfather, who is in a very similar situation, some years back. They knew he did not want to live that way and they could not bear to see their father being a mere shell of himself.

Like Tod, I am unable to definitively take sides in this case. I am not the husband, parents or Terri and therefore I do not feel it would be fair of me to judge anyone member of the families involved here. Living in Tampa, I am bombarded with this from all sides and I truly feel for her parents and on the other hand I sympathize for the husband. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see how people that are currently on feeding tubes, that are either cognizant of their surroundings or have guardians which want them to live, would be affected by this decision.

I am more disturbed about the potential violation of constitutional rights by our United States Congress. The end around move (the issuing of a Congressional subpoena) that the leaders of the House tried to use yesterday, in an effort to delay the implementation of a Florida State court order was absolutely horrendous. This is the real slippery slope.

Billy

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.