Hi Jim,

Carbohydrate and electrolytes combination is used to treat or prevent dehydration (the loss of too much water from the body) that may occur with severe diarrhea, especially in babies and young children.  Although this does not immediately stop the diarrhea, it replaces the water and some important salts (electrolytes), such as sodium and potassium, that are lost from the body during diarrhea, and helps prevent more serious problems.  Some carbohydrate and electrolytes solutions may also be used after surgery when food intake has been stopped.

With Love,

CtrlAltDel aka Dave
C4/5 Complete - 29 Years Post
Texas, USA

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I guess I really don't understand the whole salt thing.  You need to drink water to keep your body hydrated for your organs and your skin so you do not get breakdown plus to keep your bladder flushed so if you are low on sodium why can't you just add salt to your foods?

My doctor also told me that your body goes in cycles with your bowels and bladder.  He said that some days you might urinate a lot with light color urine and other days it's going to be less with darker color urine and that you have to find a balance of how much fluid is you should be drinking.  I drink what I want and I prefer to drink more so I urinate instead of less so I don't get UTIs.

Jim