amen to that david.  any part of the country not prone to natural disaster is certainly vulnerable to terrorist attack.  poisioning the water would probably be the easiest and most effective assult.  if any of that happens here, i'll be the 1st one on the road out of here.  iif we just continue to build and expand here in the desert where the natural resources already can't support us all, i will plan on leaving before we have to ration water or power.  i'm considering a reverse mortgage right now while prices are high - this can't last.

"David K. Kelmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Dave,

I remember when I moved to Phoenix in the 60's, before they put the CAP in, the city relied on the Roosevelt Irrigation Ditch for a lot of its water.  With the CAP in they are getting more water from the Colorado River.

Hoover Dam -

After considering the concerns of all interested parties, Secretary Hoover drafted the Colorado River Compact.  The Compact proposed dividing the Colorado basin into two parts, the upper and lower.  Water from the upper basin would supply Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming, while the water from the lower basin would be used by Arizona, California, and Nevada.  Hoover Dam, built during the Great Depression, drew men desperate for work to a remote and rugged canyon near Las Vegas.  There they struggled against brutal heat, choking dust and perilous heights to build a colossus of concrete that brought electricity and water to millions, transforming the American Southwest.  Today the seventeen main turbines at this powerhouse generate 2,074 megawatts of hydroelectric power.

CAP -

What is the length of the canal?  336 miles from Lake Havasu City to Tucson.

How much did the project cost?  CAP cost $3.6 billion to construct. According to the contract with the federal government, $1.65 billion has to be repaid.

Who gets CAP water?  There are three classifications of users: municipal (e.g., cities such as Phoenix, Mesa, and Scottsdale), agricultural (we commonly deliver water to agricultural irrigation districts such as the Maricopa-Stanfield Irrigation District), and Indian communities (12 tribes have allocations).

How much water is in the canal?  The canal will deliver an average of 1.5 million acre feet of Colorado River water annually. If the canal were operated full-bore year round, the capacity would be approximately 2.2 million acre feet.

Why was this project built?  The state of Arizona is suffering from a 2.5 million acre foot groundwater overdraft. This means that 2.5 million acre-feet of groundwater are being removed from the ground faster than nature can replace it. This can cause serious structural damage to homes, agricultural lands and industry. In an effort to offset this problem, CAP was authorized to counteract the overdraft by providing an alternative source of surface water.

How is terrorism prevented?  The entire length of the canal is fenced and CAP has a security force that patrols the canal by land and by air. There are alarms at all key structures, pumping plants, turnouts, and check structures. Regular water quality tests also would alert us to contamination.

Of course, God forbid, If any 'natural disaster' were to interrupt the water or the power from either of these two 'man-made' projects, I think the people of AZ might be in for a rough time.

With Love,

CtrlAltDel aka Dave
C4/5 Complete - 29 Years Post
Texas, USA

Ol' Man River <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Many places in Africa need exactly what New Orleans needs, a U-HAUL.  Guess what, that's not a good place to live.  Either there's too much water or not enough, in either case, weather is tough to change.  If you can't dig a well to get water or build a good dyke to keep it out - better off to move.  Staying put and crying about the weather if futile.    When shakey town gets shook and most of the town is destroyed and most of the population is killed then maybe it's time for them to make the same decision.   If a few shakes here and there don't bother you that much then oh well.  If you don't like seeing whole cities or countrys wiped out by mother nature, then it's time to wake up and move.

Lori Michaelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I was just thinking about all the Hollywood Tycoons and artists who *have*
the clout to make a difference.

USA FOR AFRICA (1983ish) sold millions of copies to help a country that is no
better off today than they were from the monetary help back then.

I don't see a concert effort like USA for NEW ORLEANS coming together
anytime soon.

Ideally such nation-renowned events should take place before the
next natural disaster hits.

It's as if folks blindfold themselves into that ~it can't happen here~ mindset.

Wait till a tidal wave hits L.A.!!!   And/or a quake in Calif is quite overdue...
especially along the fault line.  The fault line (and it's previous destruction)
hasn't stopped folks from risky living.

Lori Michaelson
C4/5 complete quad, 25 years post
Tucson, AZ