A life of listening to others and educating myself guides mE with more accuracy than any "crystal ball".  I'm skeptical as you should be when reading these 'Internet letters'.  A lot of people love to pass on these 'forwards' to promote their views about race, religion, government, whatever - etc.  I just don't understand why people want to keep these pOintless stories rolling.  The only purpose your story serves is to get people angry enough to stop giving.  Is that your agenda?  I think your obvious abilities could be put to better use.

"You would think with all of the genius and the brilliance of these times we might find a higher purpose and a better use of mind"

I'm curious where these accounts come from in the first place?  It seems like people who write about unpleasant situations in such a matter usually have an agenda.  Why don't these "storytellers" let us know who they are and where they can be reached, so we can at least try to validate their claims?  Your second "Internet story" was a poor attempt at trying to justifying your first.  What does your screening process consist of in trying to substantiate these tales?  You try to "get two or three that support each other", how do you know if the second or third is any truer than the first?  Without knowing the origins for which they came?  You proclaim, "these aren't MY stories", yes but, by passing them on it's kind of like giving your approval your endorsement, don't you think?

I'll tell you a story Mr. Dave.  There's a family down the street (any street USA) their poor and they receive government assistance even though the father of the family is able-bodied and capable of doing something to support his family.  There's also another family up the block (any block USA) who have more than they possibly need or could use and consequently help others.  They've been blessed and they want to share their abundance.  And, they do, very, very much to better the community.  Now, my point is two fold:

 (1) which families story has the most potential to inspire and possibly motivate others, I think the answers obvious.

And: (2) I'm not under the illusion that this world is full of shiny happy people, but I think lighting a candle opposed to spreading darkness is a better use of time and energy.

Let's do our best to spread love in a sometimes loveless world.  Someone's keeping score, no ones getting away with anything, the light is eventually going to expose the darkness.  We don't need the praise of men to do what we know is right.  The reward for the volunteers, (no matter how they're treated) 'good or bad', is in knowing that they did their best.  Be content in your own heart and justice will take care of itself.

D0wn by that Highwayside -

~ Michael  '-/

"Be aware of the time passing by,
they say the end it's the wink of an eye"

Ol' Man River <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent :  Monday, September 12, 2005 4:36 PM

nonsense and racial trash?  another crystal ball owner heard from.  what was the REAL story down there then houston?  fill us in, ok?  i'll be happy when everyone is resettled too.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent :  Monday, September 12, 2005 6:32 PM - To :  quad-list@eskimo.com

Before this is all over with, in the next 5-10 years.... you and I are going to hear a lot, and read about a lot more crazy stories of both the bright side and the dark side of almost every issue.  Today in LA, California is a good example of hearsay gone wrong.  Power Grid Interruption.  Word out- TERRORIST.  I heard several more stories before the true facts were made present.