RRTC Survey Recruitment

Your participation is needed for a national mail survey on SCI, Physical Activity, Exercise and Secondary Conditions! On behalf of the NSCIA and our research partner, the National Rehabilitation Hospital-Center for Health and Disability Research (NRH-CHDR), I would like to invite individuals with spinal cord injuries (SCI) to take part in a national survey on Physical Activity, Exercise, and Secondary Conditions in People with SCI.

The survey is part of a Rehabilitation Research and Training Center (RRTC) on SCI: Promoting Health and Preventing Complications through Exercise. This RRTC is funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) which is a part of the US Department of Education.

As a collaborator, the NSCIA has been involved in the various research and training activities of this RRTC. We are involved so we can help people with SCI to maximize the quality of their lives. We believe that projects like this will help make life better, easier, and more fun for people with SCI.

Although the literature indicates that there are more than 200,000 people living with SCI in the United States , less than half report that they exercise or engage in physical activity.

It is unclear if a lack of physical activity or exercise is associated with increased risks of other health-related problems, such as heart disease, urinary tract infections, and bone loss. The purpose of this survey is to therefore study the relationship between physical activity and exercise and the health of people with SCI.

If you or someone you know has a spinal cord injury and is interested in taking part in this survey, please contact:

Matt Kehn
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: (202) 877-1603
Toll-free voice mail: 1-866-380-4344 (leave a message and Matt will call you back)

If you are eligible, he will send you a consent form and the survey. You will be asked to fill out this mail survey once a year over two years. All the information you provide will remain strictly confidential .

As the Executive Director of NSCIA, I have been impressed with your responsiveness to such requests in the past. The future health of people with SCI depends on our growing knowledge. I know that your contribution to this important research project will make a difference.

Sharing your experiences will help us better understand how exercise and physical activity can benefit people with SCI. Without the input of people with SCI, all we are doing is guessing. With your help, we can learn from the experts.

Sincerely,
Marcie Roth
Executive Director
NSCIA