The best thing that has worked for me is cranberry capsules or gelcaps.  You can get them in as much as 1000 mg per cap from a supplement store and take a couple 1000 mg a few times a day.  They even have some at some grocery stores.  I have also gone to the naturopath (bastyr university in Seattle has sliding scale for low income), a few actually, who have made some awesome tinctures with concentrated herbs that worked.

I have been told that vitamin C can irritate the bladder, but that is controvertial and depends on your body of course.  It did work for me at one point.

I also think that cutting out a lot of sugar and taking a multivitamin has helped.  I was told asparagus is supposed to help, as well as blueberries!  Also unsweetened cranberry juice which is tolerable when diluted.  I like it in the summer with 1/2 water and with ice, but it's expensive.

good luck!