It isn't a real suspension, but I know what your talking about. I live near a company that makes castors. They have lots of specialty castors including torsion loaded castors and spring loaded. If I could find someone to raise the front castor arms I could try this idea. the big drive wheels in center under the chair should be mounted on separate sprung drop arms with a sway bar device connecting them so they react together in the most violent bumps.
I was at the place where I got the chair and the guy told me how that more than voids any service contract. My chair is beginning to need lots of service. It is 2 1/2 years old and it has to last seven years according to the nice folks at medicare. Everyone at the wheelchair shop is taking interest in finding parts to replace stuff we can see will obviously fail. i'm allowed new tires each year so I ordered them since my tires (even the castors) have no sign treads ever existed.
Don't forget preventative maintenance!!

I think a lady I talked with a few months ago may have passed. If not please drop me a line as I lost my address book when my computer was repaired. Otherwise, I mention you all every night in my prayers.

peace and love,
john