To: [EMAIL PROTECTED];quad-list@eskimo.com
Sent: 1/10/2007 5:15:08 PM
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Re: Quad Longevity

Hi Stephanie,

I saw of posting by you on the quad message board.  It caught my eye, because I
too, am a C4 -quad due to Transverse Myelitis,1 year post. Here is a little
about me and what I've been through.

My name is Naomi.  I am 50 years old.  I was stricken with TM on July 2, 2005.
In a matter of minutes, I went from an active, working adult, to a flat on my
back, totally paralyzed, terrified patient.  I was hundreds of miles away from
home at the time that this happened.  I had to be flown by med-jet nearly 2
hours to get home.  When I awoke in ICU, I was on a ventilator and paralyzed
from the neck down.  I had the steroid treatment (it drove me crazy ).  I also
had the plasma exchange, after which I regained movement of my left leg and
partial movement of my left arm.

I had four months of occupational and physical therapy, while in the hospital.
I was discharged into a nursing facility, were I stayed for six months and I
had occupational and physical therapy there for five of the six months.

I left the nursing facility and went into the hospital to have the Baclofen
pump put in, to control my spasticity.  The pump has really helped me.  I had
two months of occupational and physical therapy as an inpatient in the
hospital.  I was discharged from the hospital to home, a place I hadn't been in
over a year.  While at home, I received outpatient therapy, at the hospital,
for nearly 6 months.

After over a year of therapy, I have not progressed much. My right side is
still totally paralyzed.  I have been plagued with UTI's, dysreflexa,
positional vertigo, excruciating nerve pain, and problems with in-home help.
Needless to say, I had to give up my job.  I was a Technical Instructor,
teaching the installation of electrical equipment for our local utility
company.  I was also attending Eastern Michigan University, majoring in Special
Education, Emotionally Impaired.  I miss working and going to school, something
terrible.

I am still working on getting more therapy and trying to gain more movement.  I
thank God for what I have achieved so far, and know that every day is a
blessing.  Keep the faith.

Naomi