This is excellent advice.  Thankfully I go to a hospital which is very familiar
with quadriplegics and once they saw what my blood pressure was doing during
the initial cystoscopy, they immediately stopped and scheduled me for a more
in-depth procedure in the operating room.  I was also told the equipment they
had in the operating room was a little more advanced.  When they busted up the
stones they were able to get them to pass through my urethra, but I did have
one log in my catheter the following evening.  The joy of dealing with
dysreflexia.
Quadius

Dan Tessiatore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Danny, sorry to hear about your
problems.  When I have had my stones my urologist was able to go into the
bladder by way of urethra and break up the stones into smaller pieces to pass
through the catheter.  It's hard to believe that it is the size of a golf ball.
It would probably be a good idea to talk to your doctor about prophylactic
antibiotics and hypereflexia symptoms during and after the procedure.
Get it taken care of ASAP you don't want bigger problems.  What hospital where
you at ?
best of luck, keep us posted... Dan T.

"David K. Kelmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:     Hi Danny,

  Sorry to hear about the stone.  I don't think they need to make an incision
to remove it unless it is too hard to break-down.  Here is some good info on
them.
  Bladder stones  Introduction  Bladder stones are small masses of minerals
that form in your bladder, the balloon-shaped organ in your pelvis that stores
urine. Bladder stones, also called bladder calculi, often form when
concentrated urine sits in your bladder. As urine stagnates, minerals in the
urine form various crystals that may combine to form "stones." Bladder stones
usually develop secondary to another condition, such as an enlarged prostate or
a urinary tract infection.
  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bladder-stones/DS00904/DSECTION=1
  Treatment  Bladder stones usually need to be removed. If the stone is small,
your doctor may recommend that you drink an increased amount of water each day
to help the stone pass. If the stone is large or doesn't pass on its own, your
doctor may need to remove the stone.

  Bladder stones are usually removed during a procedure called a
cystolitholapaxy. During this procedure, your doctor inserts a small tube with
a camera at the end (cystoscope) through your urethra and into your bladder to
view the stone. Your doctor uses a laser, ultrasound or mechanical device to
break the stone into small pieces and then flushes the pieces from your bladder.

  You'll likely have regional or general anesthesia prior to the procedure to
make you comfortable. Complications from a cystolitholapaxy aren't common, but
urinary tract infections, fever, a tear in your bladder and bleeding can occur.
Your doctor may give you antibiotics before the procedure to reduce the risk of
infections. About a month after the cystolitholapaxy, your doctor will likely
check to make sure that no stone fragments remain in your bladder.

  Occasionally, bladder stones that are large or too hard to fragment are
removed through open surgery. In these cases, your doctor makes an incision in
your bladder and directly removes the stones. Any underlying condition causing
the stones, such as an enlarged prostate, may be corrected at the same time the
stones are removed.
  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bladder-stones/DS00904/DSECTION=8

  I hope this helps.

  With Love,

CtrlAltDel aka Dave
C4/5 Complete - 30 Years Post
  Texas, USA

Danny Hearn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
           Hi all, I just got home from the hospital after a day & a half stay
for Bleeding thru my supra pubic catheter . The bleeding has pretty much slowed
down..it comes and goes. The ER did a CT scan and said I got a bladder stone
the size of a golf ball. I'm supposed to set an appointment with my urologist
to get it removed. My question is this..........the doctor said they will
probably make an inscission by surgury to get it out. .....  I thought most
stones were removed by laser or a ( cystomy ) not sure of spelling. A few here
If i recall correctly, said they even removed them thru their supra pubic hole
site ?  Anyone know more about how they are usually took out???    Dan H.
c-6   9 years post,,,,,,,,,1st time for a stone.

Have a burning question? Go to Yahoo! Answers and get answers from real people
who know.