That is why I try my best to make sure that I only go to hospitals that are
extraordinarily familiar with SCI.  I had some difficulty some years back and
had to take an ambulance to the hospital.  My brother tried to hand them, the
EMTs, a card on dysreflexia, but they had no idea what the hell it was.
Quadius

Derrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          I was almost killed at our local
hospital after recent sugery.
  I went in for sugery to remove 2 hemmhroid. 1 bleeding internal and 1 outside
  I printed out 5 pages of info on AD and took it with me to the hospiital
because I knew that dysreflexia would happen.
  I was to stay overnight because they were to put packing in my rectum to stop
any bleeding. Well when I awoke from the sugery and ate something, my blood
pressure(bp) spiked to 190 over 130. it usually is around 90 over 70.
  I showed the nurse the papers about AD and told her that I wanted to see a
doctor. I told her to take the packing out and see if the blood pressure would
drop. This was around 4pm. She called the doctor and he told her to put me on
pills every 15 minutes and IV'ed another blood pressure medications every 1/2
hour. Plus they gave me morphine and other pain meds for my headache.
Well, this went on untill 9 pm. My b.p. finally lowered. An emergency room doc
showed up at 9:30pm. [5.5 hours later] He asked, "Why did I think I needed a
doctor". I told him about AD and sked him if he ever treated it before. He said
yes and that is all i remember because i was so drugged up.
  So, around 10pm, i felt funny and i asked the nurse to check my bp. She did
and it was 60 over 30. So, they put me on drugs to raise my bp. Around 2:30am,
my bp was around normal. They never removed the packing until sometime after
this. Then my bp stayed normal and I went home at 11am.

  There is alot more to the story that blows me away on how healthcare
officials do not listen to their patients and they think they know it all. I
had the systoms and causes in black and white. Wow!

  Please let me know of any good website links to info about AD. I am making it
a mission that this does not happen to anyone else.

  Derrick Winegardner
  c/5