Hi Joan,
You should ask the hospital if they have  a charity program.  We have filled
out applications and had them to write  off the entire bill.  This was
blessing before I was able to get on  Medicare and the Medicaid waiver program.
The largest bill for me was  $160,000.  My husband has Medicare only. He can
go to any doctor in their  clinics and they usually will tell him to fill out
a yearly application and they  will take his Medicare.   Thru the pain clinic
they will get his meds  that aren't covered by Medicare from the drug
companies.
This saves about $1000.00 a  month.
I hope some of this helps.
Kathy