Please elucidate us on how it pays to be in the minority.

Many people on this list have talked about how in some ways their lives have
changed for the better after their injury.  There are some interesting
things that happen after sci that illuminate parts of your life you sort of
looked over before.  At least for me, it has been an adventure.  Being an
actual monority- like on a huge college campus- is not easy.  When I was in
school I got many stares and little conversation.  We are minorities in many
ways.  The most painful one being that many of us are stuck between the
economic confines of getting welfare checks and state and/or federal
healthcare that keeps us relatively healthy and independant, and needing
more money and risking losing all assistance to get a job that has insurance
that will not pay for home healthcare.  For some this is harder than others
because we depend on the home assistance.  Marginalized is another word.
And yes, being marginalized lumps us with other groups with which we can
work on things together and support each other.  I think this is the
important part of being in a group- our ability to appreciate differences
and similarities at the same time.  A form of enlightened interdependance, I
like to think of it.

My friend started a disability studies study group at the University of
Washingtom and finally, after 3 years of the administration saying that we
don't need a disabilities class or program- a class and a minor in the
subject!  Yae!  Everyone else has a cultural studies program- why not
disability?  We have a history, culture, etc.  And unfortunately, being in
the minority, we must contend with the majority view of who we are and
expand these views because they do result in public policy and just good old
fashioned, everyday bigotry and discrimination.  One thing that makes us a
minority is dealing with those.

There is no short answer for this question, but it is a good one.

 In a message dated 2/17/2007 1:42:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,