The doc who did my tendon transfer also put a pin in my thumb and really
tightened my index finger so that my thumb would supposedly pinch against
the index finger.  The pinch never really occurred.  Instead the straight
thumb just got in the way, the index finger was too curled and the pin
broke.  Yeah ouch.  So I had a surgery to correct that problem and now my
index finger is still pretty tight.  Not all the way against my hand or
anything, but the stitching went up the inside of my finger so there is scar
tissue there.  The pinch works in a way, but not the way the doc thought it
would.  I need that thumb to bend.

Now I just have a really strong grip and it allows me to grab something with
one hand when I bring my wrist back.  I was able to open my hand a little
more and i lost that and now my hand is a little tighter, but for me it was
worth it.  I used to use my left hand to shake hands with others because I
could open it more but now that index finger gets in the way.  Oh well, I
can hold a bottle of beer at the neck with no problem now!  Like I really
need to ;-)

 There is or there are......

Tendon transfers, are nothing new.  The procedure has been around for a
couple of decades, with a goal to restore function to its candidates.  Its
not something you chose like a loaf of bread.  Those wishing, must be
evaluated to determine that they are good candidates for the procedure.
Goals have to be established too.
Most who have had the procedure claim that it has improved their lifestyle
and survival skills.

In a message dated 3/21/2007 2:14:52 A.M. Central Daylight Time,