From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] wc tires

My battery charger quit working and I was down to about 3 bars and they wanted
me to have my aid come get a nether charger that when we got it home, it was
the wrong model.  My brother saved today and he was able to come out and
somehow get the connector to work but it seems to smell a little bit after the
discharge so I have not charged for two days as the bars did not go down.  I
don't know what I do if he would not have come because my back up wheelchair
will not work, because my aid did not charge regularly and the batteries are
now dead, which my brother just bought last year at $188.  I wrote my
wheelchair company several times and calls them but just got voicemail.  She
would not even tell me how long it's going to take to get the batteries and if
she had received by doctor order.  She e-mailed me to not write her or call the
voicemail anymore.  I could not believe that.  If my brother would not have
been able to get the connector to work, I'm not sure what I would be!
  doing.and I'm not sure what he did.  I would be sitting in a wheelchair
without any power.  The Permobil is almost impossible to push.  I wonder if
they are all that way.  I don't like to be in my back up wheelchair, because it
causes pressure on my rear as it only reclines and slides you down each time
you recline..  I had to stay in bed a week after the last time I tear was
repaired when it took three weeks to get the part because of the pressure
although it was not open.  We are told that we are responsible for our own
arrangements if our wheelchairs are not working.  No one will cover repairs to
keep a backup functioning.. The company I deal with is Apria.  It seems like
they have only one person to repair anything and getting parts is so slow.
They claim they are looking for someone, they probably don't want to pay anyone
and make us wait.  It seems really unfair.  We don't have a lot of companies to
choose from like able-bodied persons do with cars.

Does anyone else have this problem, when their wheelchair is down.
It seems like things will get worse with the new policy of waiting till the
wheelchair repair costs are as much as a new chair.  We will be having repairs
all the time and not at once, so we cannot get a new chair for a long time.
The repair people told me that it doesn't matter whether you have insurance or
Medicare that the insurance pretty much follows the same rules as Medicare .
What does anybody know about that or is it make a difference on what kind of
insurance you have

I wish it was that easy and I hope that its still that easy.  DMEs are hiding
behind their counters everytime
someone rolls in.  Many are requiring their customers to pay up front and then
receive a rebate when CMS agrees to pay and  finally DOES pay.  Often, payments
are slow due to code errors and refiling of the paperwork.  And more denials.
General policies have gone out the window with across the board approval.
Most don't realize how bad it can be until they need a new chair or have to
have their chairs repaired.

In a message dated 4/5/2007 4:39:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL
PROTECTED] writes:
>From the dealer who carries your type of chair.  Usually you can get a
>prescription that says "wheelchair repairs" and have all wheels and batteries
>replaced once/year.

Bill age 56
C6 Incomplete since 7/20/68
Leesburg, FL