I got this today and was excited to learn about all the other ways that won't,
(hopefully), cause any controversies that will slow down the process of finding
a cure for SCI paralysis, (among many other things), and wanted to keep
everybody in the loop if they weren't already.  I hope this is exciting for
everybody.  I'm excited about it!  Any way that works, I'm for.  The ways
listed below, I don't see anyone not being for.  So that's really exciting!
For all of us!  (No, I'm not getting my hopes up for a cure anytime soon, but a
cure, no matter when found, is exhilarating.)

-Angie

  In my opinion, the President's current policy does not provide enough federal
funding for embryonic stem cell research. I believe we can and must do more to
advance this life-saving research. However, I do not support the use of federal
dollars to destroy an embryo, and I will continue to oppose any stem cell
research bill that crosses this important ethical line.
  Thankfully, scientific advances today allow us to move forward on embryonic
stem research without harming the human embryo. Some of these methods include
Altered Nuclear Transfer which programs an unfertilized egg to produce
embryonic stem cells. Another method uses embryos that have naturally died, but
from which stem cells may still be derived and used. Both of these methods, and
potentially others down the road, create the valuable pluripotent stem cells
that have made embryonic stem cell research so desirable. But they do so
without destroying embryos.
  In addition, I am greatly encouraged that non-embryonic stem cell research
has already progressed to the point where patients are benefiting from the
results. Diabetic children are receiving transplants of stem cells from
umbilical cords and seeing a decrease in blood glucose levels. Studies have
also shown that Parkinson's symptoms can be tremendously improved using
treatments derived from Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial cells. The list of
successes is a long one.
  Currently Congress faces a couple of dead end choices. Members could pass
legislation that allows federal funding for stem cell research that involves
the destruction of human embryos, knowing full well the President will once
again veto it. Members could also vote against federal funding for any type of
embryonic stem cell research and miss the opportunity to move this important
science forward. However, my hope is to move beyond these roadblocks and
provide significant funding for stem cell research that is not being federally
funded today, but does not cross the ethical line of destroying a human embryo.
  Earlier this year I introduced legislation called the Hope Offered through
Principled, Ethically-Sound Stem Cell Research Act or the "HOPE" Act (S. 363).
The bill provides $5 billion in federal funding for both embryonic and
non-embryonic stem cell research which does not harm or destroy a human embryo.
My bill also creates a National Stem Cell Research Review Board that will
provide ethical oversight, define research practices and interpret legal
guidelines with regard to federally funded stem cell research. Additionally,
the bill defines ethical guidelines for informed consent and for commerce
involving human eggs, embryos and embryonic stem cell lines.
  I believe that my legislation achieves the goals of advancing life-saving
research without being vulnerable to a veto. I am optimistic that my HOPE Act
offers a bipartisan solution to our nation and Congress who are split over this
emotional and divisive issue.
  Thank you once again for contacting me. I value your advice. I hope you will
not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you and your family.
  Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate

Looking for earth-friendly autos?