From: Dan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 3:44 PM
To: Quad List
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Hospitals and Quads

Okay, enough already! I know we all have had bad experiences with hospitals,
but you're all starting to sound like they are death camps. There are many
of us that don't have a close relative to stay with us in a hospital -
myself being one. And frankly, you are scaring the shit out of me.

Being in the hospital for many people is not a pleasant experience but you
have to do what you have to do. I always have a typed list of: my medical
history, surgical history, current meds regimen, and prescriptions I am
allergic to and those I'm not allergic to. This is given to them upon
registration. So I feel at least they are aware of the basics.

Please give those of us - and I can't be the only one - who will be entering
the fray alone some hope, encouragement and peace of mind.

Dan

At 05:39 PM 3/16/2008 -0700, Lori Michaelson said something that elicited my
response:

I have ALWAYS had a family member (mostly my significant other or my
husband) present during any hospital procedure or stay.  Because they simply
do not have a clue about spinal cord injuries.  In fact, it's pretty scary
how much they don't have a clue about anything!

A very high percentage of folks die in hospitals because of negligence or
malpractice that gets swept under the carpet.  They explain it away somehow
and there is nothing one can do after the damage is done especially if it is
death.

Lori Michaelson
Age - 43
C4/5 complete quad, 28 years post