While I agree with you on the ethanol, I disagree with some of what you said
about the democracy.  You are correct that the founding fathers set up our
system to be a representative republic, but that was long before the
electorate was comprised of mostly literate individuals.

The electoral College was set up to avoid giving too much power to a few
states, but right now it effectively does that anyway.  All you have to do
is look at how some past presidential campaigns have specifically targeted
only 10 or 11 critical states in order to get elected.  I believe, but am
not positive, that JFK follow this principle.

I thought the 2000 election was a travesty, but I really couldn't complain
about 2004.  The majority of the people spoke and that's what we've had to
live with.  No, it's not been fun, but that's what 51% of our people wanted.

Just my opinion; I could be wrong.
Quadius