Shelly,

I've never had the feeling of being invisible. In fact, often the opposite
especially in restaurants. But if you want to be 'visible' LOOK at other
people. Catch their eye - SMILE. Every time I'm out for a walk and I pass
someone, I give them a big smile and say 'Hello'. 99.9% of the time, I get the
same in return. Let's not play the poor me game because other people will pick
up on it and no one wants to talk to a sad sack.

And if you find that when you're out with a friend, PCA or whatever, and the
stranger starts to talk to them rather than you - THAT'S when YOU speak up. I
always tell my new PCAs to not answer when the waitress looks at her and asks
'table for two?'. This gives me a chance to say 'yes' and I always make a
request such as - by the window please or against the wall, etc. Let's give the
ABs a chance. They have to be educated - just like we did/do.

The parking issue will never be solved. It must be worked around. If you have a
driver, have them drop you at the entrance. If you drive yourself, park your
van/car across two parking spaces so no one can block you in.

So, if you really want to be noticed and helped when you don't need or want it,
then join that guys pity party. Would we be happy if every other person we met
patted us on the top of the head and said 'God bless you! You know God has a
special place in Heaven for people like you. Here let me help you cross the
street'. And people at the mall and on city streets would volunteer to 'clear'
the way - watch out! move out of the way, wheelchair coming through'. Life my
dear are a bunch of annoying things, just don't let them annoy you to death.

Oh, oh, pitiful me.

Dan

At 12:28 PM 4/27/2008 -0700, Shelly Shetley said something that elicited my
response: