I most certainly agree with you Greg!  The dealers are essentially salesmen
(like any salesperson) and they are looking at the big $$$$ that are going
to come from insurance companies or Medicaid that pay for these power chairs
that have very high price tags now.

The downside however is that when you get a chair from a dealer (vendor)
then they are responsible for all the repairs and if Medicare or Medicaid
paid for the chair -- Medicare or Medicaid will pay for the repairs or
ongoing replacement parts.  And the great majority of people here on the
list do not have the money to just buy a chair from someplace else (not a
dealer) and any other monies to pay for any *ongoing repairs or parts.*

I feel that I know my body best and therefore I would be telling/asking the
PT (no matter who pays for the chair) WHAT EXACTLY I need.  Over the last 29
years, I have had only three wheelchairs.  The first one (gotten for me when
I was still in rehab by the supposed experts) was a simple Everest and
Jennings power chair.  A sling seat with a motor and a switch.

Looking back at photographs now and what little that I remember -- I did not
fit very well in the chair* at all* and my upper torso was "humped over."
After I came home, I always remember wanting people to stand behind me and
pull my shoulders back so I would sit up straighter.  Being a "new quad" --
I was still figuring things out as far as my body and adjusting to this new
world.

This was *1980/1981* when I got the chair and I do not think* back
then*they had the TILT or RECLINE features.  OMIGOD - I could never go
without
one or the other now without being so uncomfortable that I would rather stay
in bed!

I got my second wheelchair around 1984 and it only had the recline feature.
But it was perfect to adjust my back forward or backward and I did it
constantly with the flip of a switch.  I had that chair (*FORTRESS* *
SCIENTIFIC*) for 12 years and then in January of 1999 I got the
*PERMOBIL*with both the tilt and recline features.

I use the TILT feature *constantly* to relieve pressure off my upper torso
and neck muscles.  But I rarely use the recline because it makes me shift a
little bit down in the chair and it has always been uncomfortable - UNLIKE
the FS I had for 12 years.

Pros and cons, pros and cons.  I am long overdue for a new wheelchair but it
takes my body so long to adjust to a new wheelchair and I have not had the
energy or endurance (not to mention a million other things going on in life)
to do try out different ones.  This chair will be 10 years old in a couple
months or less but I am too used to it.

Lori

--
Lori