I am the Lori being referred to.  We ended up in Tucson because of my
husband's job.  Only for them (Raytheon) to move us all the way across the
country and then laying off 400 software engineers after only 8 months of
being here! Good thing we did not buy a house!  Since then, Tucson has left
a very bad taste in my husband's mouth and he hates it.  He hates the triple
digit hot weather too (while I love it), the snowbirds doubling the
population in the winter months etc. but we are stuck here for the time
being and have been years since June of 2001.  My story is too long to even
begin.

I can't add much more than Tod did (and even though we live in the same town
we have not met each other yet!)  Except that I have had one helluva time
finding either home health care or a person for extra domestic help in the
afternoons.  I have had to hire (in one way or another-via Medicaid or
private) someone in the afternoons for the last 25 1/2 years and this is the
first time in all that time that I have not been able to find anyone since
May!  I have tried every church, organization, agency, etc. in the area to
no avail.  The last time I called the local Independent living Center who
carries a list of individuals looking for home health work -there were only
two people on the list in a city of now about a million people! This (lack
of help) has been most difficult on my husband.

In my 44 years I have lived in upper New York state (35 years), Northern
Virginia D. C. metro area (18 months -it was awful!)  And then we moved
here.  I have found that there is no Nirvana for so many of us with
different needs.  *We* are also in a Catch-22 because I do not qualify for
the 2 programs that Tod speaks of but we do not have enough money to pay for
further "home health care" for me let alone find someone for light
housekeeping!

I could be wrong but I think that Tod's primary caregiver is his wife and
mine is my husband.  All because of circumstance.  And nobody is getting
younger as far as the caregivers go (or the spinal cord injured spouse or
relative).

I have also found that one has to actually lives somewhere for at least a
year or two to *know* whether they like it or not.  It took a year in
Northern Virginia (DC metro area) to know that that was not the place for
us.  It is now considered the Los Angeles of the East and people are very
cold there.  If a neighbor of yours had to say hello to you they might fall
over dead.  LOL

I know that is not much help but that sums it up! About a year ago or more,
someone else was asking the same question you were about moving here and my
answer was the same.

Merry Christmas wherever you are!

Lori

--